You’ve probably heard that body language is important. But it really can make or break your speech!
Berkeley’s Mehrabian study on likability:
- Word Choice – 7%
- Voice Tone – 38%
- Body Language – 55%!
Your audience starts to judge you as soon as you stand up after your introduction. They can make a split-second decision on your likability based on your body language!
Haven’t you done that to a speaker when you were in the audience?
Even if you don’t speak, your body tells the audience something about you:
- If your voice is big and your gestures small, they are a mismatch and disjointed – not a smooth impression.
- If you turn your hands inward, you can look exclusive instead of inclusive
- If you hang on to the podium, you look like you lack confidence
- If you lean on the podium, you look like you lack energy and passion
- If you keep your hands in your pockets, it could keep you from reaching your listeners with your message
Remember the study – and watch your body language!